Lucy Dillon - The Secret of Happy Ever After


Warning: This review contains major spoilers!

This book had so, so much potential. Unfortunately, I just couldn’t relate to the main character Anna. I bought the audible version which I’m so glad you can return because I had to stop listening countless times for fear of throwing my phone out the window. One word comes to mind when I think of Anna. Doormat. Harsh, I know, but relevant. She lets her husband, Phil, take her for granted and is basically a slave to her 3 stepchildren. It’s not until the very end, when she stands her ground by walking out on Phil. This has you thinking, YAY FINALLY, only for you to be quickly slapped in the face because she takes him back after an apology. Ok, yes, I’ll admit it was a good apology but after everything he did and didn’t do, the man deserved to grovel way more. And after all that, we don’t even see Anna pregnant! I’d just like to point out, this isn’t a short book and throughout it you constantly see Anna wanting a child. Seriously, it’s like one of the most important things in the book and we’re not even rewarded with that in the end.
  
One character that I didn’t actually mind was Michelle. Even though this character still had passive elements, (you find out why in the book) she kept fighting and refused to let anyone have control of her. Although I didn’t mind the character, there were still some things that I just thought weren’t realistic. For example, her response to her mother at the end. Throughout the book, her relationship with her mother is portrayed as a strained one, since she never listens to Michelle and is just constantly meddling in things she shouldn’t. Then, when her mother finally realises she was wrong, Michelle just forgives her and you're left thinking, erm what? Because personally, after what her mother was like, I would not be that forgiving so easily.

Overall, I have given it 2 stars on Goodreads. This is because there were times where I did laugh and you couldn’t help but fall in love with the dogs, Pongo and Tavish. Unfortunately, it’s not a book I will be rereading or recommending.

No comments

Post a Comment

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig