Playing the Player

“She was like a tiny sun, shining brightly one moment then covered with clouds the next”

I loved this book! For 99p, it wasn’t that bad! I’ve bought so many more expensive ones which have been such disappointments so you can imagine my surprise when I ended up really enjoying this novel. It is a typical love story so if you’re OK with that then you’ll enjoy it.

The storyline was pretty predictable but I didn’t mind since the sarcastic insults between the two main characters, Trina and Slade, were worth reading. I loved how the two were polar opposites. I mean you have Trina, who’s quite controlled and uptight, (there are reasons for this but no point in spoiling) and then you have Slade. This character has an easy going persona and goes with the flow in most situations. I like how they balance each other out especially when it comes to babysitting since both of them would probably be hopeless without the other. I have to say there were moments when Trina slightly annoyed me but these were bare minimal and overall I did like her as a character.

Even though it is an easy, light read, it still highlights some important issues. For example, the character Trina and even the character Alex, who is Slade’s best friend, both highlight the kindness of volunteering. Both help out at different shelters. For Trina, its women and kids who have suffered domestic abuse or are in need of help. For Alex, he helps those who have run away or been thrown out due to their sexuality preferences. Roberts also tackles the issue of loss, I won’t say too much as I don’t want to ruin it, but we see characters finally face their fears and slowly start to let go of the past and confront the feelings they keep locked away. Even though these issues are revealed, Roberts still manages to keep a humorous tone throughout the book without undermining the serious topics she explores.

The babysitting scenes were probably my favourite within the novel. The character Max was so adorable and serious. And when he’s talking about his toy dinosaur Peggy, short for pegasaurus, and how her wings haven’t grown yet, so cute! I hope I have a kid like Max. Although, knowing my best friend, she would probably corrupt my kid and they’d end up being like Gilly. Oh well. 

No comments

Post a Comment

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig