Accidental Crush

Shane it’s not a problem. It’s great. You know who you are, that’s pretty amazing.”

I first read this on Christmas Eve in 2013. It was my first year at uni and I’m actually surprised I could afford a book since I was so, so poor. I came across it in the suggestions section and decided to purchase it as it wasn't too expensive. To be honest, I didn’t have high expectations for it since the books I had bought previously, at relatively the same price, had all been a waste. But this book proved otherwise. I loved it! And I know I say that a lot but it’s actually become one of my favourite series to read.

One of my favourite aspects in the book is the incredible friendship portrayed within the two separate groups, the juniors and the freshman. For example, you have Ashley and her friendship group which consists of two other characters, Shane and Sid. Who I love by the way. Then you have Todd’s friendship group which consists of a few more people but his main friends are Bryan and Ryan, the latter being Ashley’s brother. The humour you see within both groups is hilarious and there have been cases where I have genuinely laughed out loud. Ashley’s awkward moments remind me of myself since I’m not exactly the smoothest of people. In fact, I can probably make a person who never feels awkward, feel awkward. It’s a curse, I swear. Moving on, the loyalty and love between Ashley’s group is incredible and truly envious. Torrisi shows that you don’t need to have a lot of friends to be happy, as long as you have one (or two in Ashley’s case) who is trustworthy and has your back, then one is enough. Although there are a few secrets within the group, the book still shows the strong loyalty between them since nobody is perfect and a lot of people keep certain things to themselves. I mean I know I do. Not because I don’t trust my friends but because some things are just meant for you and only you. 

There is no one I really hated in this book. Actually, I lie. I really didn’t like RTS (Rebecca the slut) for reasons that become obvious as the story progresses, I especially hated her in the third book but that’s for another time and another review. Another character who I was indecisive about, was Blythe. At first, I didn’t want to like her because she seemed a little bit of a troublemaker but as the story continued I actually ended up really liking her. She was down to earth and was mature enough to own up to where she was wrong and apologise to those who she hurt. I think that’s why I ended up really liking her character. However, my favourite characters will always be Shane and Sid. Especially Shane. You witness his emotional struggles and the conflict he feels in discovering who he is and you can’t help but love him because of his easy going nature. I’m glad Torrisi put this character in because I couldn’t imagine the series without him!  

I also loved the easy going nature of the guys and they are totally in the book boyfriend category. And of course the band, The Sour Lollipops, whose name made me crack up. I love books that mention songs, (It’s time by Imagine Dragons is one of my favourite songs and it was mentioned!) I’m not sure why but I think it’s because you imagine the scene better with the song. It also never hurts to hear new music.  

Overall, this has become one of my favourite reads. I always choose this when I want to laugh or something to read quickly, or when I’m in the mood for a friendship/romance story.  This series is definitely worth a read if you love high school romance stories! Adrienne Torrisi has now become one of my favourite writers, which might not be saying much since I have a lot of favourites, but if you love books then who doesn’t have several favourite authors.       

No comments

Post a Comment

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig